Sunday, September 29, 2013

Thoughts About Peace Corps Service Thus Far



Recently, I have been thinking about the future. I have been thinking about it a lot. As you can see, I have been looking up graduate schools and making a thorough Outlook Calendar. I am a dreamer and I dream daily about being done with Peace Corps Service. Some of you might think that I am not liking my time here, or that I am regretting my decision to join Peace Corps. This is not the case in any way. There are many reasons I am so focused on the future. First of all, I am a dreamer. I have spent several days of my life just dreaming. This is a weakness because it causes me to not live in the moment. However, I have improved in this area, and I don’t dream as much as usual. The positive side to dreaming is that it makes me excited and optimistic about the future.

Another reason I am focused on the future is that I have been restless since senior year of undergrad at APU. I moved to Ohio for grad school, and had a wonderful experience. I was still restless so I joined the Peace Corps. I am now on my seventh month in Namibia and I feel restless. I mentioned how I was restless since Senior year of college, but there has been one habit of mine that shows that I have had the feeling of always being in transition earlier than Senior year. I have never made a home to entertain others. In undergrad and grad school, I didn’t buy furniture. The reason for this was that I never felt I would be in a place long enough to make an investment in furniture and other decorations worthwhile. I wonder how long it will be until I feel ready to make those investments, possibly when I get a girlfriend and get married?

The third reason that I am so focused on the future is that Peace Corps Service is not easy. It has been a very challenging experience. It takes enormous amounts of energy to just get through the day. The heat takes it out of a person and makes one want to stay inside the clinic where it is relatively cool and comfortable. It is not easy to always be stared at or to have to say hello to every  single person that crosses your path, stranger or friend. One misses people who share the same values and speak English well. I miss the calibre of discussion that I had at APU and Case Western Reserve University. I miss my friends and family and all the fun things we would do. I miss having electricity, running water, flush toilets, a shower, and HOT water. One of the most important things I miss is the food! I am not saying that things are awful here. Life is actually quite good. I knew I would face these challenges, and I am happy with them because they are making me trust God more and grow in many ways. I am saying that I look forward to a whole host of new experiences and different challenges. Peace Corps is an endurance/perserverance test. I don’t want it to be over because I have many amazing things to experience such as getting to know my host families better, vacationing in Namibia, visiting Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe/Zambia, traveling to Cape Town, and making new friends wherever I go. I do want PC service to go fast because I can always extend if I love it that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment