Friday, September 27, 2013

September 7-13


September 7
I did NOT sleep well for the first three hours. The dog kept barking and I was eaten alive by mosquitos, it was awful. Then I slept well after that. I got up and really enjoyed the morning. I felt like one of the family. I have a home in Rundu now, not just a place to stay. They said I can come over whenever. J made me an awesome omelet and peanut butter with bread. I headed out to the office at 840. I hung out at office with a PCV and two PC Trainees. We went to the open market and ate. I taxied to Wimpys, but I went to the wrong place so I speed walked to Engen. One car had already left, but the rest were there. We went to the paintball place and had an AMAZING time. There were a lot of people. I talked for a bit. I wasn’t going to paintball, but I changed my mind. It was AWESOME! Another PCV and I were absolutely competitive and pretty good. I did so well. I even ran away from someone, turned my gun back over my shoulder, and shot blind and got him!!! I hit about 9 people. T (the competitive PCV) and I went one on one. I accidentally shot the ref. I got some MAJOR welts and cuts. One of the PC Trainees had fun by flicking my nasty welt/cut on my arm. It didn’t really hurt though. We went down a slip n’ slide and I cut myself. I also started getting major foot cramps. A few of us swam in the river. We were dropped off at OK Foods and bought food for the braai (bbq). We walked back to the PC Office and went to our meeting place. I carried one of the Trainee’s HUGE suitcase. I love answering their questions. We ended up waiting FOREVER for one person. We went out a lodge on the river which is owned by a friend of ours. We all went and claimed beds. This place is huge and awesome! Boats, gazebos, hammock, tree decks., deck overlooking water, Pool. The night was really fun. Louie was cool and had some friends there. I got pretty mellow at one point then pepped up. I went to bed at 2am.

September 8
I did not sleep well. I had some really bad dreams. I woke up early and had the dubious honor of having to wake everyone up. After we got back to Rundu, I led a bunch of the PC Trainees to the PC office and OK Foods, where they were being picked up. I was so exhausted. It was just me and one other PCV in the office for most of the day. I did some journals and tried to take a nap. I was stressed because my car didn’t show up from Mpora. I decided to stay the night. I was feeling  pretty down and lonely because of the high of the weekend. It always happens. I went out and binged on junk food…and an apple. I got some great encouragement from some other PCVs. I skyped my mom too. I walked to my place at 530. I was so sore. I went to bed around 830.

September 9
I had some dreams, but slept very well. I didn’t want to get up. I taxied to the hike point and found a ride within 20 minutes. I did health education at the clinic on breastfeeding for 12 people. It went so well! I was very proud and happy! I actually enjoyed it! It went for 30 minutes. I prepared for Grass Roots Soccer and went over the lesson with BH. I had an interesting cultural problem with him. I said I needed him there at 2. He said “I will let you know.” I said I need you there.  He said “who knows what will happen. If I promise, but I’m delayed and am not there on time it is not good.” I explained how in America it’s a matter of respect and honor. I went and ate lunch at 1230. I changed and walked to school and Ppinted stuff off. I got some water and walked to the soccer field. I waited for a long time. BH came late. I practiced with him. Learners were very late too. Many of them tried to come, saying they forgot who signed up. I was really frustrated. We didn’t start until 330 or 345 and ended at 5…I was not happy. It was a bit rough. The wind was awful and I couldn’t hear and it messed up papers. Also, the trucks on the road were too loud. Other learners came by and disrupted practice. I walked back to clinic at 515, then walked home. I sat by myself and ate dinner. My host family didn’t hang with me so I just went into my room and read news and watched The Wolverine and Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters. Wolverine was not the best, but Percy Jackson was okay. I went to bed at 930.

September 10
I woke up at 645 and went to the clinic. I brought my laundry for the cleaning lady to do. I gave a personal hygiene lesson today (hand washing, tooth brushing, and how to avoid spreading sickness). 21 people were there. I walked to the school and went to break. Then I prepared for Grass Roots Soccer (GRS). I met with my health club leaders and planned our first meeting for tomorrow. I did a lesson plan about career opportunities for the grade 6s. It went sooo well. I went back to the office and journaled and prepped. GRS went amazing! I was so encouraged. I walked home in an awesome mood. I went into my office and relaxed. I walked home and talked with my host mother for a long time in Rukwangali. I ate dinner and played UNO with my family until 720.

September 11
I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of an animal in my room. In the morning, I found out a mouse or something had tried to steal my headphones. I am waking up sooooo late, at 630 or 645. I do not like it at all. I wrote a Facebook status honoring those affected by 9/11. I walked to the clinic and had my usual breakfast. No one at the clinic wanted to do health education (my supervisor was not there) and it was really frustrating. However, I realized that all I can do is be prepared and ready to do health education. I spent much of the day recording attendance and prepping for my clubs. I have to start making my own lunch because the lady that cooks for my supervisor is not there anymore. I walked to the school and literally almost died. I was walking on the shoulder of the road and barely stepped to the right and a car almost clipped me while –passing a truck. I was not happy. My first health club meeting was a success. They really liked it. We played a game called ninja. Then we went inside and made club rules and brainstormed activities for our health club. They seemed especially interested in drama, art, and soccer. My two learner leaders were great! On my way home I passed a black mamba, but didn’t notice until my brother yelled. We spent 30 minutes trying to find it so I could take pictures, but to no avail. I went home, ate, and played UNO with my family. It was really cool when one of my little host brothers tried to sing along to my Phillips, Craig, & Dean music. I had a really good Facebook conversation with my dad. I went to my room at 730 and watched Planes and Star Trek. I went to bed at 10.

September 12
I woke up at 530, but feel asleep again until 630. I walked to the clinic and ate breakfast. One of my meetings was postponed for two weeks. My best friend in Namibia received an email from a girl who is coming to Namibia in March. My friend was so excited and I became so excited. I was in a euphoria. It’s crazy to think we’re talking about Group 39 already. We started talking about how Xmas is coming and how it’ll be so fun. I started dreaming about xmas trees, presents, music, dinner, friends, skydiving, and new years. I wonder if I’ll find a Xmas service to go to. I went to see if we were doing health education, but saw no one. My supervisor came and asked to do health education. I did the same thing as yesterday. It went well. I journaled and then watched a movie for a bit of the morning. I went to lunch and ate so much PB and butter and rusk. I didn’t have much to do today. I went home at 6pm. I kept thinking I was hearing snakesI I sat by the fire and did absolutely nothing, but dream. I tried to eat, but was so full. I went back to room and just dreamed and listened to music. Woke up several times, didn’t feel so good. I had diarrhea.



September 13
I woke up and went to the clinic then the school. I hiked to Rundu…in a prison transport truck. I went to the Open Market and had lunch with a PCV and his counterpart. His counterpart bought me an orange soda. I walked to the office and did some computer stuff. I hung out in the office until 630 and walked back to my place. I had a good talk with two of my PCV friends. I showered and then had my friend cut a bunch of my hair off. It looked awful, but it was quite funny. I didn’t care because I was so happy just to have it gone. I went to bed around 9.
 

1 comment: