Sunday, September 29, 2013

My Future



I don’t write blogs to entertain, just to inform interest persons about my daily life. However, sometimes I get the motivation to write more thoughtful or interesting blogs. This is one of those times. Recently, I have been thinking about the future, especially after Peace Corps, a lot. I made an Outlook Calendar of everything I could think of all the way up to the end of PC Service. Some of the things I have to look forward to our birthdays, vacations, PC conferences, etc. However, I have already been thinking about what I want to do after Peace Corps.

 I have had a plan/dream since grad school. I call it a plan/dream because I don’t like to act like things are set in stone. God can change plans in an instant. My plan/dream is called the 2-3-5 Dream. It is quite simple. I want to spend two years in Peace Corps, 3 years in the Middle East, and 5 years in the UK while I work on a PhD of International or Middle Eastern Studies. However, this dream has changed recently. A few weeks ago I had several conversations with different people, my dad, a World Teach Volunter, and several PCVs, about the future. I have had a few conversations about world events and news and have come to realize that I know a great deal about many different topics, especially in relation to the Middle East. One of my possible future career options has been International Relations, but only recently have I had some concrete affirmations of my potential in this field. I have degrees in Social Work and Community and Social Development. I don’t think I want a PhD in Social Work anymore, although this blog post is just me musing about possibilities (anything can change).

The conversations have made me really excited. I began looking up the best graduate schools in the world for International Relations. The two tops school are Georgetown University and Johns Hopkins (SAIS program). I have done extensive research and have found some encouragements and challenges. One of the challenges is that I don’t speak another language. One of the downsides of going to Namibia is that the official language is English. I am learning one of the local languages, Rukwangali, but enough people speak English for me to get by. I am a little confused if I must already speak a foreign language or if they will teach me there. I think they teach me there. However, I want to go to the Middle East for a few years after this, which would give me the opportunity to learn. It would be hard to become proficient in two years, as I have envisioned, but I believe I can do it. First of all, I will be done with Peace Corps, and I will have much more freedom. I won’t be forced to learn a language that is only used by 80,000 people in the world (which is definitely causes a lack of motivation to learn). I will have the freedom to enroll in classes, which is my favorite way to learn. I also think I will be more motivated to integrate in my community. Another challenge is that I will have to take the GRE. I do well on tests, but I have not had to take any since undergrad. Grad school was all about papers and discussion. Another challenge is the Economics requirement. I am not good at math, and might have to take math classes before I can take some of the required courses. The two school I am looking at are also very expensive, costing around $67,000 a year for two years. I am already in debt, and it would require a major miracle for me to afford the high expense. Finally, the programs are highly selective. I think I remember reading that the acceptance rate is between 6-13%. 

However, this is also where my strengths and advantages come into play. First of all, the classes from year to year at both programs includes a relatively high percentage of Peace Corps Volunteers. In one year, 13 PCVs made up the majority group of the 60 person class. Another benefit is that I might have actual experience in the Middle East, if I actually go through with moving to the Middle East. Another advantage is that I already hold a Masters degree (MSSA). Most of the other candidates hold only Bachelor’s degrees. Another strength of mine is that I know I have the intelligence, work ethic, and perserverance to get into such highly selective programs.

One might ask why I want to go back to school. My first reason is that I absolutely ADORE school, especially graduate school. The calibre of discussion is simply amazing and it is fun to talk to people who share the same passion and intelligence levels. I love working with people of high calibre to solve or discuss issues. Another reason is that I am good at school. I get good grades and become involved in things that I would normally not get involved in. Another reason I want to go back to school is that graduates of the two schools I am looking at work in the highest levels of the professional world possible. Most get jobs within six months of graduation. I also want to work in the international arena with organizations such as the UN, the US Government, and many others. Another reason is that I love the social life of grad schools. There is a good mix of alone time and social time. Also, I would move to Washington D.C., which I have heard is great place with a lot of fun things to do. It is also the heart of the US and the networking opportunities would be invaluable. Finally, I just miss the life I had in school. I have never been happier as I have been in school.

I am very excited by the possibilities, but we shall see how it all plays out. I may move to the Middle East and like it so much that I decide never to go to school again. Or I may end up going back to the US and get a job right away. The exciting part is that God has blessed me with the opportunities and potential. It’s all up to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment