Friday, September 27, 2013

September 14-20

September 14
I walked to the PC Office at my usual time, 530. However, it is pitch black out at this time due to the hour time change a few weeks ago. The gate to the office was also locked so I had to squeeze myself through the gap in the fence. It was somewhat painful and I almost got stuck. My sweatshirt also got snagged on the barb wire when I threw it over the fence. I skyped my mom for about 45 minutes. I went on Facebook and looked at one of the PCVs who just finished service a week or so ago. He posted a screenshot of the internet speed he had. The internet speed was 1.5 megabytes per SECOND! The fastest speed we have at the office is 100 kilobytes!!! The American internet was 15 times as fast as our connection. I am excited to see what the speed is like when I am done with my service in 2015. I watched You Tube videos, but then I got bored. I was going to go to a barber to have him clean up or fix my hair as best he could, but decided to let my friend do it. She did a great job. We went to the open market for lunch. We had an amazing conversation that made me really excited about the future. I skyped my friend from Germany for 1.5 hours. It was a really good conversation. I skyped my mom and dad after. Then, I looked up grad schools for International Relations. I’m considering getting a masters in IR. I went home around 645 and started reading a bunch of books about International Relations that I downloaded for my Kindle. I ate dinner with some of the other PCVs and then went to bed.

September 15
I did not sleep well at all. I got bit by a lot of mosquitoes and was also sweating and still had diarrhea. I slept in and walked to the office at 645. I skyped my mom. My brother and my mom just went to Casa de Fruta Celtic Faire. I miss doing things with my family most of all. I talked to my dad for a bit too. I hung out all day in the office looking up grad schools. I had soo much fun. I was definitely dreaming about going back to school because I love it so much. I walked to Pick n’ Pay and bought junk food; then I walked to the car. We had to wait a long time and it was really hot. We left around 4. I wasn’t feel well so I didn’t eat dinner. I took a nap and watched Superman. Then I went to bed.

September 16
It was an awful night. My diarrhea is continuing and I was exhausted. I slept in and facebooked my parents. I walked to the office around 845. I called the PC doctor and he said I should go to Rundu to see a doctor. I didn’t want to go, but I wanted to get better. I was feeling so awful I laid down on the floor and sleep in my office. I canceled my clubs. After lunch, I was embarrassed to find out that some very important people from UNICEF were visiting. I had NOT been told about it and wasn’t very happy because I was in a t-shirt and shorts because I was supposed to have soccer club later. Let me tell you, it really sucks to have to spend a sick day in your office. My hut is hot and very boring. I can watch movies, listen to music, or play games on my computer at the office at least. I definitely felt really vulnerable and wished I was at home in the US. My doctor called me back and said they scheduled an appointment for 11am the next day. I went home at 540, but didn’t eat because I didn’t feel well. I watched 24 until bed time.

September 17
I slept better this night, but still had diarrhea. I got to town at 930. I checked in at the Doctor’s office early. She gave me a bunch of stuff. I also had some extremely painful sores in my mouth which she said was due to a Vitamin C deficiency. I don’t really eat fruits and vegetables in the village. I had to wait awhile to get my medication, but there was a problem with PC payment. I have to come back to get the rest tomorrow. I walked to Pick n’ Pay and bought food and took it to the office. I really didn’t feel well. I tried to nap, but no luck. I had fun looking at websites about the two grad schools I am looking at attending after Peace Corps (or even at a later date), Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) and Georgetown University’s International Relations program. I skyped my mom for a bit then taxied to my friend J’s place. We watched TV and ate. We had sausage, rice, and a really tasty sauce. J’s father said I could come stay there anytime I want to. I hung out with J and his brother and listened to music and played guitar for the first time in a year. It was really fun to realize I remember a lot of stuff.

September 18
It was so hot when I woke up. I tried to take a shower, but the water wasn’t working. I watched TV and J’s mother made breakfast. J drove me to the Doctor’s office to get the rest of my medication and then took me to the PC office. My Xmas vacation travel buddies and I booked a dolphin and otter cruise in Swakopmund that includes snacks, a gourmet meal, and champagne! I can’t wait. I decided to stay another night because I was feeling sick. J’s dad was awesome and said that I could stay in their place even when they are not there. The generosity is astounding and deeply appreciated. I taxied to J’s place and had porridge and chicken for dinner. It was so tasty! Then I watched TV and talked with the family until 11pm.

September 19
I slept okay last night. I got up and ate breakfast. I pretty much just watched TV all day while everyone else was gone. The cleaning lady made me lunch. The kids got home around 230. I love hanging out with them. I went out with J and his brother later and bought chips and an apple slice. It was one of the most amazing pastries I have ever had. I went to bed at 9 and got up at 145 am to watch NCAA football. However, I was too tired, so I went back to bed.

September 20
I woke up at 545, but I slept really well! I ate breakfast and went to the office. The weather was awesome, blustery and overcast. It really reminded me of home. J and I dropped the kids off at school. We had the windows down and were listening to Christian music. I loved it. I skyped my mom at the office. I have really been wanting to play some online games like League of Legends or World of Warcraft. I am contemplating downloading LoL. I hung out in the office until our YEAH club meeting. One of the PCVs came in before the meeting and we had a good talk. She looked absolutely beautiful! Our YEAH club leader brought donuts and I had two of the insanely delicious Apple Slices and 2 glazed donuts (they taste different than the ones in the States). The meeting was great, but I wish we had more time. I am going to be in charge of monitoring and evaluation, which is really exciting. I hung out at the office until 4. I taxied to J’s and hung out with the family. We watched TV and played guitar. I’m going to bring games next time so we don’t just sit in front of a TV (although it is so wonderful to be able to relax and zone out while watching TV). I went to bed around 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment