Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Emotional Roller Coaster that is Peace Corps Life (Part 3)



I have a lot of things to look forward to. In regard to my work, I am most excited for when my computer lab will be built, and I will be able to teach classes all day if I want to. Oh, I just realize I haven’t updated people about my computer lab project. A World Teach Volunteer gave me nine computers and a 4-in-1 printer to start a computer lab at my school. It has been about seven months since we were approved by the Ministry of Education, but that is how things work in Namibia, slowly. Anyways, as having little to do in my daily job is an issue, the computer lab is a non-stop spigot of potential projects. Another project I am working on an educational 7 day tour of Namibia which is planned for November 3-8. Actually going on the trip is up in the air, but I am doing my best to work with my Namibian counterparts. My final positive thing coming up, is I have a good chance of getting a new, Group 40 PCV the last week of September. This is both a professional and personal event I am excited for. Professionally, I feel a new PCV will really help me to step up, and take more leadership, as well as integrate more. Also, I hope to work with the new PCV on projects. Personally, there is the potential that the new PCV and I will become friends. Seeing as friendship is something I am lacking in Namibia, it would be wonderful to form a good relationship with the Volunteer.

Personally, there are some really awesome events I have to look forward to. August 15-17 is the big Cultural Dance and Song Competition in Rundu. After that I am going to Victoria Falls, Zamibia, one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World. I am going with another PCV. I am really excited because, besides the Falls, I will be taking a day-trip into Botswana for a boat and land safari. The most exciting activity is the lions, elephants, and cheetah excursion we are doing. In essence, I get to get up close and personal with all of these animals. I’ll get to walk the lions literally by the tail. I’ll get to feed and ride the elephants. Finally, I’ll get to interact with the Cheetahs. I cannot wait for all the awesome pictures I will have from this trip.

Immediately following this trip, I will head down to Windhoek to get a crown put on one of my teeth. I will get to visit a family in Otjiwarongo that I have gotten really close to and haven’t seen for months. Also, any time I get hot shower, electricity, internet, etc. is a reason to be happier! The following week is the Group 40 shadowing weekend. It will be really fun to meet the new PCVs and show them what life is like. The next big event is a three week trip to Zambia, Malawi, and Tanzania in October (if my PC boss approves my leave forms)! Then, I have the school Tour as I mentioned earlier. In November, I will have Thanksgiving weekend with a bunch of PCVs. Finally, in December, if our new Country Director doesn’t change the policy, I will have two weeks to collaborate with other PCVs on projects in their regions, as well as having two weeks off for Christmas vacation! I am excited just thinking about it! 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're back writing the blog! I absolutely love your writing and reading about your life. Stay encouraged and keep up the good work! Peace and love - Katherine

    ReplyDelete