Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Emotional Roller Coaster that is Peace Corps Life (Part 2)



June 8th was the start of the current valley I am experiencing right now. I became so accustomed to traveling, that coming back to site was a big readjustment. Ever since then, it has been very difficult. I had some good days here and there, but the majority of the days have been rough. I don’t want to dismiss this hard time, but Peace Corps has done a lot of research and they have a chart that shows the ups and downs of a PCVs emotions. Mine seems to fit in. Despite this, it is still really difficult. At this point, I am struggling with motivation, initiative, compassion, as well as plain weariness. I got in a routine and it has been hard to be willing to implement new projects due to not wanting to “rock the boat.” As for compassion, when one sees so much suffering on a daily basis, it can desensitize one and make one less compassionate. One really significant challenge/stress is that my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer recently. He had major surgery and has started chemotherapy. Finally, living away from family, friends, as well as familiar foods, and most of all, one’s culture and amenities, such as electricity, internet, running water, hot water, and general comfort, has taken its toll. The positive side is that I value those things much more. I know I just need to be refreshed, and then things will feel better. Can you believe that during my free time here, one of the things I do for fun is play around on Quicken, personal finance software, and figure out how much I’ll have to pay in future taxes if I make certain amounts of money?! I’m serious! Who looks forward to paying taxes? Me!

This valley is not like my last one in anyway. I haven’t been depressed, but my thoughts have been under a pall. Negativity, in my thoughts, has overcome joy and thanksgiving. Also, a sucker punch to add insult to injury was when I lost my office. Some of my supervisor’s bosses came and said my office needed to be used for something else. I really appreciated her arguing with them and trying to fight for my office. However, she had to do what her boss says. I need to explain that my office was more than a workplace; it was where I had electricity and thus, where I could cook simple things to eat. I also hung out in there a lot. Imagine losing your workplace, kitchen, and hangout place, and that’s how it felt for me.

It was devastating for about one minute, but strangely, that moment was when I felt God’s comfort the most. I calmly realized that God has a reason for everything he does, and he would use this setback to his advantage. For many PCVs, if they were in my shoes, this would be the last straw and they would quit. But for myself, I have always relished challenges, and scoffed at the idea of quitting because of a room, no matter how important it was. I was, and am determined to continue all the way to the end.

This brings me to this week. Sunday, August 3, was the first day I realized how bad my thought process and outlook was. I realized I needed to focus on being thankful as well as just thinking positively in general. Ever since then, I have felt really good. I hope that the nearly two month stretch of my latest emotional valley is over, but we shall see.

To be continued in the final part next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment