Sunday, August 18, 2013

July 27-August 2



July 27
I woke up several times this night. Finally, I got out of bed at 6am. On my way to the PC office I had a wonderful prayer time. I went to Stephen’s Photolab and got some pictures developed for my host family in Okahandja. There were already  a few pcvs there. By the end of the day there were 9 pcvs there! We all ended up sharing media. They were especially happy with a lot of the stuff I had. It makes me feel good to share. I fixed one of the other PCV’s computer game probs as well as took the computer game for myself. I went to the Open Market to have lunch with some people and then bought some shitenges (the colorful pieces of fabric). After most of the other people left I skyped my dad for a few minutes, but ended up skyping my mom for four or five hours. Things are NOT easy here for me at all. I am going through a lot of personal growth and am dealing with “growing pains.” Anyways, the conversation with my mom was simply amazing. I had so many epiphanies. It was one of the best conversations I have had with in years. I went back to my friend’s place around 745 and talked for a bit. I watched some soccer and played my new computer game. I went to bed really late, around 1130!!

July 28
I woke up pretty early, but stayed in bed until 940am. The power was supposed to be off so there wasn’t a point to going to the PC office. I played some Rome Total War (Computer Game). I also had an amazing talk with the PCV whose place I stay at. He gave me some really good advice and project ideas and I really appreciated it. I went to the office around noon. I went to a few stores, but it was sooo strange to see them without electricity. I got a letter from my best friend here! It made me happy! I went to the car after that and saw my favorite host brother, T, who was away at school! The ride home took four hours. I found out that my supervisor wouldn’t be back for another week. I was a bit sad because I miss her. At home, I played UNO with my host family. Then I went and read for a bit. I went to bed at 9.

July 29
I didn’t sleep well again. I was also stressed about the week. I had three days to entirely organize a health club and determine who my student leaders would be. I went to the school early and saw the students at Assembly for the first time. I went around getting suggestion of Grade 7 students who might be good leaders for the health club. I observed all of Grade 7’s classes. There is a class in Namibia that is called Religious and Moral Education Class. As a Christian, I was curious to see what they taught. It was definitely interesting. Sadly, the theme of the class was “Pain and suffering comes after wrongdoing. HIV/AIDS is around because we are sinful. Illnesses and accidents are punishments from God. God will make your children die as punishment. GOD IS GOING TO PUNISH YOU IF YOU DON’T PRAY.” It was pretty strange to hear these things taught in school. I went back to the clinic around 1240. I talked with BH, my counterpart, about making a game club to help learners learn English. I had lunch, but my milk had gone sour. After lunch, I did a lesson plan for my Life Skills class the next day. I wished my best friend “Happy Birthday.” The big portion of my time after that was journaling and practicing Arabic. I went home around 545 and met the new driver. Dinner was a bit of challenge to eat, but I was still thankful I had food. I played Rome Total War and talked to one of my best friends back home until bed.

July 30
I went to the clinic at 635, then walked to the chool. Today was my second day of observing the Grade 7s. People were really standing out above the rest. I had a few minutes to talk to them about my health club. Unfortunately, it was only 5 minutes, and I don’t think they really understood what I was saying because I had to speak so quickly. I was really disappointed when only 4 boys raised their hands in interest. I was happy that one of the boys was one of the boys I was looking at to be a leader. We had tea and then I went and talked to the lifeskills teacher about my lesson plans. My first class was not good. We talked about domestic violence, but it is so hard to cram such a huge topic into 40 minutes. They are also very shy around me. The second class went much better and I learned a lot. After my day was done, when school got out at 1pm, I went to my teacher friend’s room and hung out. I played Rome Total War(RTW) for a bit and talked to the learners. I went home around 330, bought some toppers, and  played some more RTW. It was a really great day! I talked with my family and had an awesome dinner. I talked to the headlady about my projects, which she seemed to like. Then, we played UNO until 745. They all won besides me and one other person. Then I went and played RTW and listened to music until 10pm.

July 31
I woke up not wanting to go to school, but I ended up going. The printer at the school was finally working so I was able to print off some sheets of paper for the health club. God gave me such a wonderful opportunity. The Grade 7 teacher for three periods was gone for the day. (You don’t have substitute teachers here so the kids just sit in class doing nothing. I wanted to take advantage of this time so I went it and, basically, had fun with them. I wanted to make them more comfortable with me. I taught them how Americans say “What’s up” as well as different American handshakes. They taught me some of theirs. They loved it when I spoke Rukwangali. I let them ask me questions about America too. One of the questions I always get is “Is Rihanna (or Lady Gaga) a part of the Illuminati?” Many Namibians believe that there are many celebrities, namely Rihanna and Lady Gaga, who have sold their souls to the devil and that is why they make so much money. It sounds crazy, but it seems that the majority of Namibians, especially rural villagers, believe this. I taught the Grade 7s Tic Tac Toe and Heads-Up-7-Up. I went and observed their  next class. We played Simon Says. Then, I took the two students, whom I had chosen to be leaders of the health club, outside and told them all about it. They said yes!!!! We filled out the paperwork. Then I asked the Grade 7s who wanted to join the health club. I had 4 interested the day before, and today I had 50!!!! I have a GOOD problem now of having to narrow the number down. It was wonderful how God gave me the opportunities. I went to MS’s class and read. People from the Ministry of Health Immunization Program came very late and kept the learners over their allotted time. The teachers were not happy. I told my two leaders to go home and have their parents sign the permission slips. To my amazement, I found out they are brother and sister and live in the same place. Well done to those parents! I hung around the school most of the day. The learners are already acting different with me, more comfortable. One even said “What’s up” to me! I went and bought some Toppers and walked home. It was a purely beautiful day, slightly windy and overcast. I went back and ate. I Talked to my co-workers for a few minutes, then shaved and washed my hair. I listened to Celtic music while the wind blew through my office. It was purely wonderful. The sky was so beautiful that I went outside and took pictures. I played RTW and went home. Dinner was really good, spinach and pasta. Then, I went and packed and played RTW until bedtime, around 830.

August 1
I was so excited to leave for Okahandja, where my host family is, that I got up at 430. I walked to the road at 530. It took me 2.5 hours to find a ride. It was with an Afrikaaner. It was a good ride. He dropped me off in Grootfontein. It took me another 1.5 hours to get another ride. This ride brought me a further 90 kilometers closer to my destination. It was funny that both of the rides I had thus far were from men who owned security companies and who had both given rides to PCVs before. My next ride only took me 5 minutes to find. It was an awesome ride with a South African/Namibian businessman. We had such good conversations. He was really young too. He is really well connected too. I got into Okahandja at 3. I went to the Garden Café for a few minutes, but decided to buy food and go to my host families house. I took a taxi. It was SOOO amazing to be home. I wanted to cry/jump for joy at the same time. My host family honestly feels very similar to how it was when I was away at college and would come home for the holidays. I appreciate my host family so much more now too. I met the new Volunteer in Training, part of Group 38. It was so good to see my host brother and have dinner with all of them. I tooled around on the internet and went into my room and watched 24 until 1130.

August 2
I woke up early, but wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. I stayed around the house all morning and walked to town and the Garden Café. I found some of my Group 37 PCVs already there. During lunchtime, the group of PC trainees came in. I met about 20. I thrive in this environment and had such a good time. I finally met some of the people I had been fbing for months. I walked home around 230. Around 5, I went to my other host family’s place. It was amazing. I met the new trainee who is staying with them. The trainee, myself, and our host brothers went outside around the fire. I went home and played around on the internet. I finished Season 2 of 24 around 230am.

No comments:

Post a Comment