Sunday, August 18, 2013

August 3-9



August 3
I woke up at 620, obviously tired from my 230am bedtime. I skyped Mom and Dad for a while. All I did this morning was research cameras. I was contemplating buying a really nice once. I left around noon and ate my favorite salad at the Garden CafĂ©. I met my 3 closest friends at Rhino’s, a local restaurant. We went to the park and waited for the trainees to get back from their trip to Wdhk. We played UNO while we waited. The trainees did not get back for 3 or 4 hours. However, it was so good to meet them all, as well as see our old trainers. I got a ride back to my neighborhood. My host family had slaughtered a sheep. It was fun to hang with them. I went back to my host family and did more camera research. I skyped mom and dad and got their advice. I rarely buy expensive things, but I love pictures, and one other PCV’s pictures on his camera really made me want to buy a really nice camera. I had the stuff shipped to my parents. Also, my mom and dad said they’d send me a care package! After skyping with them, I washed dishes and went to bed.

August 4
Today was a pretty difficult day for me. I got up early and walked to town around 645. I waited in a park for my 3 travel buddies. We walked to the road and got a ride to Windhoek after about 30 minutes of waiting. We went to the PC Office to drop off our stuff first, then we head out to the mall where we ate at Mugg n’ Bean. I had a quesadilla that was pretty good. We walked around the mall for a while and then went to the SuperSpar. We walked back to the PC Office and were picked up by the PC van to be taken to the conference center, 10k south of Windhoek. They put us way out in the boonies…people were not very happy to be honest. I roomed with the older guy volunteer in our group. My counterpart was supposed to travel from Mpora, but he left late and he did not get to the conference center until very late, after I had gone to bed. Dinner was okay. I went back to two other non-Group 37 people’s room and had a really good time with them. I left and went and went to bed around 9.

August 5
I did not sleep well. I had many bad dreams and woke up exhausted. I was also feeling down. I prayed that God would get me out of the rut I was in. Breakfast was pretty good. We went to our first session of the day and just talked about our sites. By the way, this weeklong conference was called ReConnect, where we come together at the end of our first three months at site and debrief. I bought some batteries for my camera during the session (online). Tea time was phenomenal! They had mini loaves of banana bread and cookies! I had six loaves and 20 cookies. Fyi, a PCVs life does somewhat revolve around food, especially food that reminds us of home. After the day’s sessions, I went with three other PCVs to enjoy the sunset. I had a really good talk with one of them. The last few days had been extremely difficult. After dinner, I went and talked with one of my friend’s counterparts about my issues. After I finished talking to her, one of my friends asked to talk with me. It was exactly what I needed, and the floodgates opened. I vented to her about everything that was going on. I went on a little walk after that, and then went to the Group 36 PCV’s room. I had a great time just talking. I stayed there until 10pm.

August 6
I slept better this night than the night before. I enjoyed breakfast and walked around just praying and thinking. The sessions were pretty good. After the sessions I went and hung with the Group 36 PCVS. We went to dinner, which was great. I hung out with the Group 37 PCVs most of the evening in the lobby. I ended up talking to my best friend and another PCV. After that, I talked to a PCV about some of my struggles. She gave me some really good advice. Then I went to bed at 10.

August 7
I woke up feeling good, showered and shaved. Today was very difficult. The issues I was dealing with had left me so confused. My mind overthinks things. The morning was rough, although lunch was a bit better. The sessions were fine. After the sessions, I skyped my dad. He is so wise and gives awesome advice. He pointed out several things and asked a number of questions. After my conversation with my dad, I felt like I could be myself again. I was energetic, enthusiastic, and full of joy. People “socialized” a lot this night. We all moved to another person’s room and hung out. I went to bed at 10, only to be awakened by a very “happy” PCV who wanted me to get up and hang out…at midnight. It was funny. I went back to the other room, but only stayed there for 20 minutes. One of the guys whose room we were in looked so tired. I asked him if he wanted to sleep in our third bed. He gladly accepted.

August 8
I woke up feeling a little sad and hurting. I went to breakfast and said goodbye to the Group 36 PCVs. Our counterparts left too. After tea break, we all got homemade chocolate chip cookies! They were amazing! I was enjoying myself after the sessions started and continued for most of the day. I had a really good talk with one of my close friends. After class we all just hung out in the lodge. It was really mellow. We all went to bed really early. I went to bed at 8!

August 9
I woke up feeling rested. I skyped my brother for a few minutes, and almost teared up for some reason when I talked to him. I think it was due to the emotional strain from the issues I was dealing with. I had a great time talking with some PCVs during breakfast. We went to sessions. During tea time, we surprised one of the PCVs with a birthday cake. After lunch, I went and just enjoyed the view, thinking, praying, and processing things. After the sessions I was walking to my friend’s place when I saw her step out of the door, look around to see if the coast was clear, and sneakily (she thought) toss two apples on the ground. It was hilarious. I came in and relaxed. We went to dinner, but then came back to the room. I ended up having a very heartfelt talk with one of my friends about the issues I was having. It was a very open and honest conversation. I am very glad it happened. After that, I went outside and hung by myself. Then I went to bed.   


No comments:

Post a Comment