Sunday, April 7, 2013

Pride Rock and Other Adventures!



Week 3 was such a good week! On one of the days we had an awesome lesson with Compost Pete, as I call him. He taught us to make compost and garden. I loved his presentation because it was content rich and practical. He used theory in a way that was abstract, but very meaningful in practicality. One could apply it to other things in life. It reminded me of the rich discussions I had in grad school; I miss it a lot! One of my favorite times of the day is tea time. Every morning we have a thirty minute break and food is provided. PBJ days are awesome as well as cookie days. We also have Rusk, a biscotti like cookie, and cheese and crackers. 

We had several things to do for class this week. We played puberty charades, as well as many other games. A lot of our work involves learning activities to facilitate when working with youth. We got to practice our skills this week with youth at a school and at a non-profit called Kayec (HIV/AIDS Prevention). I helped lead two sessions. The first session was okay, but I let someone else take the lead because I am not a particular fan of the activity we did. It was a good learning experience. One note, we had almost no time to prepare on the first day. We were thrown into the mix and had to improvise. As a result, I met with two of my co-leaders the night before the next presentation to plan. I am so glad we did because I felt very confident. Our presentation went extremely well. I was proud of how I interacted with the kids because it is an area I need to grow in. 

I have had some wonderful times with people this week. The conversation has been amazing. I have cleared up misunderstandings with people. I have become more comfortable with people, which has increased my friendship bond with them. I LOVE texting my PCV friends here. They are so awesome. I also love being able to text people back in the US via Whatsapp. It’s been wonderful to keep in touch even though I am so far away. 

On Saturday, I hiked to Pride Rock (yes, like in the Lion King), with four others. It was amazing! We saw baboons! I loved the little kids who led us there! They would just come up and grab my hands and walk with me and speak excitedly. I had heard the hike was hard, but I thought it was still pretty easy, also very enjoyable because it still provided a bit of a challenge. I am tempted to speed hike it because it was so much. When we got to the top you could see for miles and miles and miles. It was devoid of people, but for the town below us. I took a lot of pictures and video. We also did Gangnam style at the top because the kids were singing it on the way up. Nay, our Cambodian PCV, also likes doing it! Definitely a good memory! I carried two of the kids on the way down because they wanted me to. It was a workout, but still fun!

After the hike, I went to Alicia’s place and we had a wonderful time hanging with her/my family. We played games, read, ate, talked, and hung out. Then we went to one of the daughter’s beauty pageant. It started 1.5 hours late and I had to leave early to Skype one of my best friends in the US. Anyways, today is Fiesta Night! We are having Mexican food and hangout time with just the Volunteers and Alicia’s and my families. I’ll blog about how it went in my next post! Should be awesome!   

No comments:

Post a Comment