Friday, June 14, 2013

June 2-8



I got some really good sleep except that I had diarrhea five times. One major problem was that Gio’s water had to be switched off for the night…imagine not being able to flush the toilet or hydrate myself (yes, too much information, but this is my life now). I was really sad I missed the event last night, but I knew it was good that I stayed behind. I decided to stay in town another day after I called PC about my sickness. Later, I walked to the hotel. I bought some small gifts of food for the girls. The rest of the night was not my ideal hangout situation, but it was still good. The girls were tired so we just hung out and talked. I started to feel really sick and feverish. I went and ate dinner with them. I felt so miserable that I left at 9:30pm. I took a taxi and paid the expensive night-rate because I felt so sick.

I slept well except that I sweated so much from the fever that I had to wrap myself in my towels. I woke up on the morning of the 3rd feeling great. I still had diarrhea, but little stomach pain and no fever. I was in a really good mood. I was a bit nervous to know if I would be allowed to attend a training in Ojtiwarongo in the coming weeks. I love trainings, but I also want to take advantage of every chance I get to see other PCVs. We also get to stay in lodging that has showers, running water, hot water, nice beds, electricity, free food, and possibly internet. All of these are a cause for celebration when you live in a hut. I walked to the PC Office and skyped Mom and Dad. I went shopping and price checked different stores. It was awful carrying all the groceries back to the office. Later, I received a call and was told that I would be added to the list of attendees for the training! I felt so good! I went to the market to meet Crystal and Alicia. We walked back to the office, but I had to leave abruptly, forgetting my computer charger in the process. I took a taxi to get to where my ride was waiting because I did not want to lug all my groceries by hand. The ride back was difficult because I was really down about something. I arrived at home and went to bed.

The morning of the 4th was quite bad for a few hours. I woke up feeling really down. I got less down as the day went on. I think a lot of those feelings were because I had zero energy from fighting off my sickness, and I still had diarrhea. I went with my counterpart to the local school and met with the head lady for 2.5 hours or so. The conversation was very good and I know a lot more about the school and how I met work there. The head lady said I could go with her to a parent teacher meeting at the combined extension school in another village. Benhard and I walked back to the clinic, but my supervisor just let me sleep the rest of the afternoon because I had no energy. I went home with my host brother, but couldn’t eat. I did have an extremely candid conversation with a friend that made me feel really good!

I woke up feeling really good on the 5th. I went to the clinic. To my utter delight, my supervisor had made cake. It was sooooo good! It tasted like cake from America, although it didn’t have frosting. I had a really good talk with a friend about not letting your fears control you. I never thought of it like that, but I see the sense in it. This conversation led me to decide that I WILL skydive during my time here in Namibia, even though I’m still quite afraid of it. I want to face that fear. If I can skydive, there is nothing I cannot do! Anyways, the headlady decided not to go to the meeting at the other school, but I really wanted to go. I was told by my counterpart that the school was only 3 kilometers away…11 kilometers later, I finally got there. Side note: Namibians are not known for being concise and accurate. Something that is 11 kilometers away can be “just up there.” I met a really nice guy named Joe on the way. He is a member of the Village Development Committee. He told me that one of the committees requests was to make a community garden. They have an excellent water source near the road, which I wish I had in my village. It was really cool to see somewhere new. The other school is only one class of 25, but they had a really good number of parents show up to the meeting. I introduced myself to the teacher, board member, and parents. The meeting started a hour late, which is pretty good, considering how meetings can start three or four hours late often. They made me sit up front. The meeting was about the level of fees and the cost of supplies. One note, the classroom is in a mud hut and is in major disrepair. The desks are extremely close and the children do not have the correct learning materials. During the meeting, I saw a bully of a kid smash another kid’s sand castle for not good reason. The smug look on his face was frustrating. I got some phone numbers from people, so I can visit later. A co-worker came by with a bike so I didn’t have to walk. I really appreciated it and thoroughly enjoyed the quick bike ride back to the clinic. The clinic was pure crazy when I got back. It was the busiest I have ever seen it. I did not realize it was the main day for HIV patients to see the doctor who visits once a month. I packed pills before and after lunch. I talked to my brother later and really enjoyed it. I ended up talking with Crystal for most of the rest of the evening about food such as frosting, cookie dough, brownie mix, mac and cheese, and melted ice cream. I went to bed at 7:30pm because I was so tired.

On the 6th, I woke up in an amazing mood. I continued my sms conversation about food with Crystal. I am sad that a letter I sent her got lost in the mail. Two men came into the clinic, both with sever foot injuries. One had almost lost a toe from infection and the other had the portion of skin between his big toe and second toe severed. I did some research for some work I plan to do. A lot of people came in at one point during the day and I took weight and temperature. The local police force visited and it was really good to see them. I know several of them. Meanwhile, a baby with severe sickness came in. It almost died, but my supervisor saved it. The ambulance came from Rundu to get them. Later, I inventoried all the educational posters in the office. At one point, a young man came in, asking for counseling. I said we didn’t and we he left. I decided to get his phone number and find out for him. Then I decided to check him for suicide risk because he was distraught. I found that he was at risk, either for suicide or hurting someone else, but not immediately. Namibia does not have a mental healthcare system like the US, and the young man was not even from the area. I smsed another PCV and asked her to take care of it because he was in her region. I got him to promise not to do anything without talking to someone first. Meanwhile, I saw something that really messed with my sense of justice. A man ran over my friend’s fatcake bucket, from which she sells fat cakes to support her children. Although he was a teacher and has money, he refused to pay because it was an accident. They got in an argument, but the man just left without paying $3.60 USD it would have cost him. It frustrated me and made me sad. Another thing that was sad to me was how I saw a person make fun of a single father who took his child to the clinic. Men do not raise children here and there seems to be a stigma attached to it. I went home at 4 and read and wrote in my planner. I also made a pros/cons skydiving list. Here is what I came up with:
Cons                                                                                 Pros
Death                                                                               Facing fear
Extreme Stress on Way Up                                                Bucket List
Expensive                                                                        Bragging Rights
Fear                                                                                 I’m Competitive
Passing Out from Stress                                                    I’ll feel left out
                                                                                        I’ll have major regret
                                                                                        Empowerment (I can do anything)
                                                                                        I’ll be sad if I see everyone else do it

Later that night I had a conversation with my host family about the “N-word.” Some Namibians do not realize how bad that word is and what it is. They thought it meant cool. I explained to them why it was not cool. They asked why black people in America said it. I told them that the word should not even be said by black people because it makes others think that they are okay with being viewed as “less than equal” (as the n-word means). They seemed to understand and I went to bed soon after.

I didn’t sleep too well last night because of the mouse and lizard making noise in my room. I woke up for good on the 7th and sat and relaxed for a while in my hut. I heard someone coming, but then I saw huge horns come through the door! It was a cow that wandered into my hut! It gave me quite a start and I chased it out! I went to Rundu to do some work. Later, I went to shop for groceries. Then I skyped mom and dad. I met a new PCV named Kyla. Bonnie, Denise, and Gio were there too and we had rice, peppers, onions, and soy sauce for dinner. I ate so much. We also had kettlecorn. Then, I went to bed.

I woke up feeling great on the morning of the 8th, but was so hungry. I looked up skydiving videos and just watched youtube most of the day. It’s so relaxing to do stuff like that. I forgot it was Saturday momentarily. I got so hungry that I went out and binged on a huge, head-sized glazed raisin bread, pretzels, raisins, and a chicken burger. I wandered around the “mall” for a bit too. I think I was feeling a bit lonely too for some reason. I haven’t been homesick once, but I severely miss summer in America and the culture (which I never knew existed). I finished my book Pathfinder, and moved onto a Ken Follett series. Dinner was absolutely amazing! Kyla is an amazing cook! They forced me to cook and I did really well! I made scrambled eggs, peppers, and onions. It sounds like nothing, but that was huge for me because I am an awful cook. I don’t like eggs too much, but the peppers and onions added so much. Kyla and Denise made pancakes and they were so good! We had as many as we wanted. Kyla later made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I have a large appetite, but she made so many cookies and I ate so much dough that I actually stopped with many cookies to spare.  It was such a good night! Side note: I have found that when I go into town, I get extremely hungry. I crave chocolate and massive amounts of food. I have fallen in love with Cadbury’s Top Deck Mint Chocolate and can eat loads of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment